Sunday 18 August 2013

Minstrel the doorstop

I was asked to make a cat doorstop.  I've not done much amigurami so searched for an easy skill pattern and found this: Amigurami Black Cat Door Stopper which can be found on the Lion Brand (pattern number 90695AD).

Feeling slightly anxious, I was about to make a start when they asked if I could make it to look like their cat......that is to say, the same markings as their cat.  Fortunately, it is a black and white cat and not a tortoiseshell.  So after many photos sent, I drew a rough sketch of the cat and with its markings.  Here are all the parts:



















Head with eyes, nose and whiskers
             
Then I added the eyes and stitched on the nose, whiskers and ears and stuffed the head and it started looking more like a cat. I lightly stuffed the ears so that they had a softer feel to them. I stuffed the tail by using the end of a large hook to poke the stuffing in.















With this project, I decided against using sand and went for curtain weights.  I used about 25 which I put inside a bag. You can get them in fairly large quantities off ebay. 

curtain weights

After I had stitched him altogether, I gave him a nice red collar to complete his appearance.  I think he looks rather smart and was pleased with how he turned out.










2 comments:

  1. Wow, Karen, I can remember when you were struggling to do a straight line! This is fabulous!

    I love the name, "Minstrel". How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kat. I know it's amazing how quickly you can progress once you get past that initial struggle. I have now met the real Minstrel who is a lovely cat. They look like twins :-D

    Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment x

    ReplyDelete